Google
 
Web hellogaijin.blogspot.com

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Homesick Day


Sumo match
Originally uploaded by pointybunny.
I am having the worst bout of homesickness today! I have to work through it somehow before Taka gets home or I am afraid I will start a stupid argument in the vein of "Take me home now!" Partially its his mom, she just makes me so angry sometimes. We just had lunch with his aunt, grandma, uncle and his wife and his mom just sits there and tells everyone how I only eat cheese and bread. I just want to shout NOOO i don't usually eat cheese for every meal. I want veggie burgers and tofu dogs and popcorn with nutritional yeast and soy cheese and macaroni and Amy's organic lasagna and fakin bacon and hummus and...
well..you get the picture. Who could guess that food would make me the most homesick? and people of course, i really miss friends to
talk too. I want to come home soon I need a break!

Last night I told Taka that Japan would be 90 percent better if Hummus was readily available. Taka has decided he is too fat topping the scales at a whopping 171 pounds. sheesh he's a whale....as if.

He made me walk all over creation last night in attempt at exercise. I have to say Japan is as hot or hotter than Florida in the summer. Its so humid you can suck it up with a straw. I'm watching Sumo wrestling because it makes me feel not as fat. and no I don't know . I am wanting to visit the US, but I have a sneaking suspicion he really doesn't want me to go so is taking his time. I hope he realizes I WILL NOT come back and live in this house. I
just cant. It's so dirty in here and they don't clean up after those dogs. Considering the rat dogs go poo or pee in the bathroom at will usually once a day. I have freaky thoughts of a layer of invisible dog filth on the floor so don't linger to dry my hair or myself off. ewwwww. Which comes to another thing, I hate those "dogs" so much. How could I, who is supposed to be such an animal lover, hate those 2 dogs so much? Especially the little gremlin one. I always push it when no one is looking. They bark constantly, barking even at each other. how stupid is that?
Oh well, what can you do?

Taka let me order a few articles of clothing from online a couple days ago. He's so funny, he sometimes gives me money for all these dumb reasons I guess so he doesn't feel like he s really giving me money. Like the other day he gave me $50. because he said he had too many $50.s in his wallet. Ya, right. I gave it back to him for the clothes though.

Japan made a bad move in my opinion, they voted to make the postal service go private. you know our mail is going to be messed up big time. plus now people can price gouge so we ll never know how much postage will be. its not the best idea I've ever heard. Right now Japan has the most amazing postal service. I cant believe they would do this.

Another issue bothering me is alcoholism, its rampant in Japan. There is a higher alcoholism
rate here than there is in the US. The thing that really disturbed me is that for fathers day the big thing was to take father and children to a cocktail class that taught the kids how to make cocktails for their fathers so they could have one waiting for them when they come home from work. All their business deals are made in hostess clubs where they drink like fishes almost every night. With the pressures from their crazy working hours alcohol is a release and a social activity. Taka has been drinking alot more since he got his job, he never has been much of a drinker, but the president of his company keeps making them go out for drinks after work once a week. They were looking for an English teacher for 5 hours a week at his work for $300. a week, I wanted to do it but he wouldn't let me. Hes so overprotective of me. It's not fair.

At least I can watch some samurai dramas on tv. That's always fun and there is a new vending machine next door with all the soda flavors you could want!

6 Comments:

Blogger illahee said...

you know, i make my own hummus with soybeans....

5:37 AM  
Blogger pointybunny said...

ooh! soybeans. sounds good, I need the recipe! I think I am a hummus addict.

4:01 PM  
Blogger illahee said...

it's really easy. i used to use dried beans (which was a pain: soak over night, boil, drain, let it sit in water, etc.) until i found the boiled soybeans in the supermarket. usually in the veggie section and one package is enough to start with.

i package boiled soy beans
1 clove of garlic (or, to taste. i love garlic)
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tbs. sesame seed paste
juice from one freshly squeezed lemon
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
ground cumin and cayenne to taste.

basically you put all of these ingredients in a food processor or blender with 1/4 cup of warm water and mix it well. i love garlic so i add a bit more than one clove. my husband hates salt so i usually only put in one teaspoon or less. i also usually forget the sugar. i hope you like it!

4:26 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I'm sorry you're homesick. You know I'm dreading our move - and we won't be nearly as far. Big hugs, my friend. And I can totally relate to missing food - I miss stupid fast food places when I can't get them from state to state!

I can't believe they have a class to teach children how to prepare cocktails. WTF!! LOL!!!

I guess any child not fully educated can go straight to bartending!

I was a vegetarian for about 5 years (I'm not sure why that stopped - it was the best I've ever felt.. and I really did it because of the animal guilt, not the health issues. So many people gave me so much grief - including my own family, like when I requested a tofurkey for Thanksgiving.

I never quite understood why the hell anyone gave a crap about what I put in my mouth as long as they didn't have to eat it?? I made all of Faith's food for the first year of her life. She was on an organic vegetarian diet. I think that's why she HATES meat so much now. She pretty much hates all foods except pop-tarts and milk.

Okay, back to this project I'm working on. Hugs to you. I hope you're feeling better.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Bianca said...

Hi - I don't know if this is relevant to you but I recently found an awesome vegan cafe in Tokyo - about a 5 minute walk from Sengawa station on the Keio line from Shinjuku station - it is called the Kick Back Cafe and they have awesome soy lattes and vegan curries and soy noodle dishes. The prices were quite reasonable (for Tokyo). Here is their website link http://www.kickbackcafe.jp/menu/index.html

I know what it's like to be homesick - been a gaijin and now an Aussie ex-pat in the USA :)
Good luck!

3:29 AM  
Blogger pointybunny said...

Thanks for all the veggie tips, keep 'em coming, might help other ex pat vegetarians in the same situation. (and of course, myself)

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home